Monday, September 19, 2011

DIY Coffee Table/Ottoman

Project Supplies:
Lowes-
Particleboard- I measured the size so it was almost
 the length of my couch 2x4' roughly it cost $7.
4 Wooden Legs- 14" in height they cost me $22.
4 brackets- (they're called straight top plates) $7
Hobby Lobby-
1" padding- with 40% off coupon (always print a
coupon for padding its way over priced) $15
You might want to buy a thicker padding, it
depends how puffy you want it to look.
Cute fabric- I chose a canvas print. You'll want a
 thicker fabric. I bought mine a while back so I
don't remember the price but it was cheap :)
Wal-mart-
Spray paint- I used Krylon primer and
white flat spray paint $6
Martha Stewart Glaze- in brown 8 oz is
roughly $3 and it lasts forever.

First screw in your brackets.

Then screw on the legs.

We sanded the legs a little so the glaze would
go on smooth. Then we primed and painted it.
On a side note I personally decided that I like the
look of gloss paint more than flat. I discovered
that the glaze didn't go on as smoothly with the flat.

Then we added the glaze.

We cut out the padding. It was a long enough piece that we
layered it twice. You'll want to cut your padding to match
the board, if it hangs over the edge it causes bubbling when
you go to put the fabric on.

Now staple on the fabric. You'll want to pull the fabric tight and
staple and then do the opposite side and then go around. When
you get to the corners pull in towards the corner and staple.
I did a little pleat on the corner and stapled down. But it's
just one of those things you figure out as you go along.

And here's what were left with. It was a rewarding project
that you can do in a day, my favorite since I don't have
all the patience in the world.

Viola! Coffe table/ottoman.

4 comments:

  1. So cute Haylie! I love your fabric. You make it look so easy. I want to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I'm so jealous! I wish I would have thought of making my own instead of buying one that was over $100. I'm an idiot. That looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this project! i totally want to make one for the foot of my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to make something like this for awhile! Thanks for sharing :) CUte blog you have here!

    ReplyDelete